There is a question that always pops in my mind and to every parent at some point of time.
What can I do to help my child eat well?
There is no fixed answer to this question, but a list of ways, that can surely help in solving this problem.
- Sit and eat with your child. And serve every thing in small portions, that you have served in your plate.
- Show your child what eating healthy is like. You are your child’s best role model. They will learn to eat and explore new foods by watching what you do.
- Offer new foods many times.Children often need to see, smell, and touch a food many times before tasting it. Your child may need to taste a food many times before they eat it. Continue to offer new foods and include foods your child has refused in the past.
- Give your child enough time to eat.
Young children learn by touching, smelling and looking at foods. Give your child time to learn about the foods you offer. Learning to use a spoon and fork also takes time. Plan time to sit and eat slowly with your child.
- A mess is also part of learning how to eat.Try offering the same food in different ways.Be patient. Keep giving your child foods made in different ways: raw, cooked (steamed, roasted), in stews, soups and sauces. If your child likes vegetables cooked a certain way, give them other vegetables made that same way.
- Offer new foods with foods your child already likes.Offer new foods often and serve them with at least 1 food that your child likes.
- If your child doesn’t want to eat, or eats very little at a meal, offer a healthy snack 1 to 2 hours later. Making a different meal for your child will not help them become a healthy eater. Sometimes young children only want to eat the same foods over and over again. This is normal and may last for a few weeks or months.
- .If the “favourite” food is healthy, continue to offer it along with a variety of other healthy foods. If the “favourite” food is a less healthy option, give it to your child less often.
As parents, we can teach them to enjoy food. Earlier the better, because, it will make our lives easy.
Wishing you happy parenting, that leads to happier you.